Sticky rice seeds, soft and supple, mixed with juicy chestnuts, sweet as if spreading out the very rustic flavor of heaven and earth.
Chestnuts are likened to the “king of dried fruits” in winter. According to Oriental medicine, chestnuts have a sweet taste, are mild in taste, and help to nourish the body, fight fatigue, are good for the stomach, and keep the body healthy. There are many foods from chestnuts that are very good for the body such as Honey roasted chestnuts, chestnut sticky rice, chestnut chicken stew, chestnut fried rice…
- Wash chestnuts, dry them, use a knife to lightly cut a horizontal slice on the shell. Put the chestnuts with the amount of water to cover and boil for 10-12 minutes or until the cut part is slightly cracked, take out and soak in cold water to soften the skin and easy to peel. Then, peel off the outer skin and silk skin, cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Clean glutinous rice, soak overnight in water for about 6-8 hours. If you want to cook immediately, soak in warm water for about an hour before cooking. Then, pour out the rice, gently drain the water, and drain.
- Add chestnuts to the rice, add a teaspoon of fine salt and mix well to make the sticky rice more flavorful.
- Boil water, heat up the pot of sticky rice, lower the heat, then put the rice and chestnuts in the pot, spread evenly and proceed to the sticky rice. After about 15-20 minutes when the rice seeds bloom, add a tablespoon of cooking oil to the island to help the sticky rice seeds stretch. Cover the pot, continue to cook the sticky rice for another 20 minutes so that the sticky rice is cooked evenly and soft.
- Stir the sticky rice into a plate, eat it with sausages, fried rice or roasted sesame seeds. Sticky rice seeds are stretchy, flexible and soft, with chestnuts, soft and sweet.
- Choosing sticky rice with grain, glossy, will make sticky rice more delicious.
- How to choose delicious chestnuts: round seeds, dark brown, fresh skin. If you can buy chestnuts from Trung Khanh, Cao Bang is the best.
- If you don’t have a pot of sticky rice, you put the sticky rice mixed with chestnuts into the pot (if the pot is old, lined the bottom with foil to avoid sharpness), then add the amount of water that almost covers the surface (not equal to the rice surface) and turn on the cooking pot. Just like normal rice cooking. When the pot switches to keep warm mode, open the lid, stir gently with a little cooking oil , keep warm for a while until the sticky rice is cooked and soft.
- For more flavor, you can add some green beans or black beans (optional, it is recommended to soak the beans first). Mixing more coconut milk also helps the dish become more greasy.
- 500 gr glutinous rice
- 500 gr chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon lard or cooking oil
- Accompaniment (optional): Sausage, shrimp or peanut sesame
Keyword: Chestnut sticky rice – warm the heart on the first day of winter