Tay Do is the perfect weekend trip and not to be missed in your Western itinerary. So what’s fun in Can Tho? Friendly locals, delicious street food, a quieter environment, the famous Cai Rang floating market, and many hidden gems to discover. Let’s find out with Luhanhvietnam right below this article!
Can Tho – the land of “white rice with clear water”
You have been to the bustling city of Hanoi, and you have also traveled through Ha Long Bay to admire the scenery. All the excitement makes you think it’s time to relax and get back in touch with nature. So where should go? Ask your friends around and traveling to the West is the perfect place to have some peace and quiet in the countryside.
Located in the Mekong Delta is a ravishing destination with images of canals and rivers dotted with small islands. An area famous for its mangroves, temples, delicious food, Khmer influence, fresh produce and even floating markets. Home to the largest area in the region, Can Tho is dynamic, making it the perfect starting point for your trip around the Mekong Delta region.
Can Tho tourism has many activities for visitors of all ages. From exploring the many orchards to taking a leisurely boat ride through the Mekong Delta, there is something for everyone in Can Tho. If you are wondering what to do here, here is a list of things to do in Can Tho that you can refer to experience.
What’s so fun about going to Can Tho: top memorable experiences
1. Explore Con Son Tourist Area
One of the famous destinations in Can Tho is Con Son Ecotourism Area. Located on a small island off the coast of Can Tho, recently it is very popular with tourists. More than 30 families live on the island and they help each other in tourist activities. It is beautiful with gardens and tropical fruit trees everywhere.
The outstanding activities of Con Son tourist area include:
– See a slicing fishing farm. It’s a special fish that has a spotting line on the sides, you can even feed the fish yourself.
– Try seasonal fruits taken right from the garden such as grapefruit, oranges, milkweed,…
– Make your own Vietnamese snacks such as crepe rolls, pancakes, banh khot,… and enjoy.
– Relax and enjoy a hearty lunch full of delicious local specialties.
– Play with adorable dogs.
– Watch snakehead fish jump out of the water to catch prey.
– Paddle along the shaded canal.
2. Visit Cai Rang floating market
Cai Rang Floating Market is on the list of top famous destinations in Vietnam. A fun ride here to start early morning at 5:30am. Starting at Ninh Kieu Wharf, you walk towards the pier and rent a boat for about 300,000 VND – 400,000 VND for 3-4 hours. You can choose the train to go faster. The wooden boat looks a bit old but very safe. The boatman moves skillfully. You will also see a beautiful sunrise on the way to the floating market.
What’s so funny about Cai Rang floating market in Can Tho? When you come here, you will see the noise of sellers and buyers. Vendors usually have a boat filled with seasonal produce and fruits such as pineapples, watermelons, mangoes, etc. and they have to sell out before they go home. The trees on the boat show what the vendors have to sell.
For a unique breakfast experience, try a bowl of fresh noodle soup while you’re on the boat and enjoy it with fresh coconut water or coffee. Listen to Southern folk music on the river, then visit the noodle factory. Here, you can sample unique dishes such as noodle soup pizza and watch the locals prepare noodles with meticulous steps.
3. Walking along Ninh Kieu Wharf
Ninh Kieu Can Tho Wharf is not only a favorite gathering spot for locals, but also a great place to relax and enjoy the sights of tourists. The best time to go to Ninh Kieu wharf is in the evening or at sunset. Come here and take a leisurely stroll, you’ll see boats of all sizes coming in and out, locals walking their dogs, children playing games and couples enjoying the view.
4. Visit Binh Thuy ancient house
Located just on the outskirts of the city, Binh Thuy ancient house offers a glimpse into the history of the area. It was first built in 1870 by a wealthy merchant and landlord Duong Chan Ky. The architecture of the house shows the harmony between Eastern and Western influences. This impressive old house has appeared in many films, the most famous of which is L’Amant (The Lover) by French director J. Annaud.
5. Wandering around Can Tho night market
When asked what Can Tho has fun at night , the answer will be at the famous night markets. It is not simply a place to shop, but when you come here to explore, you will enjoy many delicious specialties and feel the idyllic culture. Can Tho has 4 bustling night markets for you to explore:
– Ninh Kieu Night Market : located right in the center, right next to Ninh Kieu Wharf.
– Tran Phu Night Market : come here to enjoy delicious street food.
– Bai Cat Night Market : in addition to street food, you can also find more upscale dining options around here.
– Tay Do Night Market : famous for selling many kinds of goods such as: clothes, shoes, souvenirs, … to buy freely as gifts at extremely cheap prices.
6. Visit the temples in Can Tho
Can Tho has many pagodas that you can explore. When you come here, remember to be polite. Wear appropriate clothing and take off your shoes when entering certain areas, such as prayer areas. The famous temples that people often visit are:
– Can Tho Buddhist Temple : located at the corner of busy Boulevard, this is a beautiful Buddhist temple. Explore the temple’s 5 floors to admire the architecture and even Buddha statues. The top floor has a nice view of the street. You will need to take off your shoes when going to higher floors.
- Address: 11 Avenue, Hoa Binh, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
– Ong Pagoda : located opposite the river, a small Buddhist temple with Chinese style, where many people choose to pray. Inside the pagoda, there are hundreds of large incense rings hanging from the ceiling. The space is filled with smoke from incense. Right opposite the pagoda is the Ho Chi Minh monument where people often come to have fun.
- Address: 32 Hai Ba Trung, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
– Truc Lam Phuong Nam Zen Monastery : is one of the largest Buddhist temples in the Mekong Delta as well as Can Tho. Spiritual tourist spot feels quiet atmosphere to visit in the afternoon. The campus is large with many lakes, worship areas and many Buddha statues near the entrance. Located right near My Khanh tourist village, only about 2-3 minutes walk.
- Address: TL 923, My Khanh, Phong Dien, Can Tho.
7. Have fun at My Khanh tourist village
Large tourist area with many experiences so you can feel the best when going to Can Tho . Enjoy the fruits, watch animal races, fish foot massage spa and traditional games,… The venue is still under construction as they are adding more exhibits. You can also stay overnight at Western-style wooden cottages.
Strolling through the fruit gardens to feel the fresh and peaceful air. Test your balance with different types of balance bars in the traditional game section. Or see more than 500 crocodiles living in the crocodile pond area with your own eyes, you can feed the crocodiles with a fishing rod similar to Can Gio monkey island. Checking in to the tourist flower garden or enjoying the specialties of the West is also an extremely interesting experience.
- Address: No. 335, Vong Cung Road, My Khanh Commune, Phong Dien District, City. Can Tho.
8. Visit Ba Bo flower village
Although Can Tho Ba Bo Flower Village is open all year round, the best time to visit this place is during Tet (January – February) when most of the flowers are in full bloom. It’s a great place to take some photos and see how the locals take care of the hundreds of flowers here.
9. Experience a local homestay in Can Tho
One of the best ways to experience the charm of Can Tho is to stay in a homestay. Garden-style homestays offer authentic experiences that you won’t find in hotels. You will be greeted by hospitable hosts and you will get to know the local culture firsthand.
Most homestays in Can Tho are surrounded by luxuriant fruit gardens, so you can mingle with nature as much as possible. Some famous beautiful homestays you should come to such as: Winter Spring Homestay, Mekong Rustic Homestay, Rice Homestay, Queenie House,…
10. Learn to make Chocolate at Muoi Cuong Cocoa Farm
When visiting this farm, you will be warmly welcomed by the owner Muoi Cuong and happy to show you around. What’s fun about Can Tho Chocolate Farm ? You’ll start by walking through an organic cocoa farm. Afterwards, return to the main courtyard and take a sip of the famous local cocoa liquor. Listen to Mr. Muoi Cuong sharing with you how his father started this farm in the 1960s, how he stumbled across a book on French chocolate and developed the craft and created various products from his cocoa tree.
In addition, you will have the rare opportunity to see how cocoa trees are grown and how chocolate is made by hand. Don’t forget to buy some unique chocolate products here to take home. Admission price is: 50,000 VND/person, including free tasting of cocoa drinks, handmade dark chocolate, cocoa liquor and cocoa nibs.
11. Study history at Can Tho Museum
Here you can learn about the impressive history of Can Tho through 2 floors. The museum is a Can Tho travel experience you should remember. Besides the usual arts and crafts, you will also learn about the different influences from the Vietnamese, Chinese and Khmer that have made Can Tho what it is today. Watch to learn more about this beautiful people and land.
12. Cycling to visit the village of Can Tho
Riding on a bicycle by yourself through the cool village roads lined with green trees offers unforgettable views full of impressions. On the way to visit traditional craft villages, see firsthand the process of making handmade products. Visit the peaceful temples and schools in the peaceful countryside of Can Tho.
13. Check in at Love Bridge
Ninh Kieu pedestrian bridge built in 2016 is also known as Love Bridge, this is one of the most attractive tourist attractions in Can Tho. Coming to walk, enjoy the river scenery and take souvenir photos is a memorable experience of Can Tho tourism . The bridge has an S-curved shape, 200m long and 7.2m wide. Standing from here, you can watch Can Tho cable-stayed bridge hold the Southeast Asian record with the longest spans.
14. See storks at Bang Lang Stork Garden
Stork garden is located in Thot Not district, about 60km from Can Tho city. Come here to experience walking under the purple mausoleum trees or the two sides of the straight old bamboo ramparts to feel the peaceful atmosphere. In particular, you will also be satisfied with the vast stork forest with countless different species.
Bang Lang stork garden put on a peaceful and quiet rural look. In the early morning or in the evening, flocks of storks spread their wings and fly in the sky like soft and flexible silk. The noise dispels the feeling of tranquility all around.
15. Check-in Mini Beach Can Tho
If you want to find a place to feel the atmosphere of the sea in Can Tho, go to Mini Beach – a restaurant located at Bai Cat, along the Hau River. This place is known as a unique man-made beach. Coming here, you will feel the atmosphere of a miniature beach hidden under shady coconut trees, surrounded by shimmering lights.
People who come here to enjoy the scenery can buy some bottled water or simple dishes with affordable prices to sip. In particular, here often organize “chill chill” Acoustic music performances for everyone to enjoy.
Can Tho tourism have any fun ? It is a great place to explore the life of the people of the Mekong Delta, participate in many interesting experiences. Save this place as one of the top destinations that you should visit on your upcoming trip to enjoy all the above interesting things.
Keyword: What’s fun in Can Tho tourism? Check out the experiences from morning to night